Saturday, February 06, 2010

Gifts....

One of the wonderful things about the internet is finding creative spirits whose work you love.
Elizabeth Armstrong in Melbourne, Australia is one of those fiber artists who makes the most incredible felt pieces and also teaches workshops in her home studio. We just completed our second art trade and she made me this lovely piece. I just had to share it with you! She dyes her own wool and makes all kinds of things with it. Of course she tucked in a bunch of other fun stuff-roving, yarn, a journel, hand dyed silk fiber to play with...I'm a lucky girl!
And look what sweet Marie Thayer sent me! A hand quilted "tea cup cozy"! She even stitched a secret message on the inside and named it "Dream time". Marie always leaves me the nicest comments and that makes my day!
In addition to blogland there is Facebook. I found Magaly Ohika there and fell in love with her art. I had to order a few things from her Etsy shop including this print and the funny cat below. She also tucks in a few surprises to make you smile.

Charlotte Lyons is an artist, author and teacher that Pam Garrison introduced us to at Artfiberfest last year. So fun to be with, she and Pam kept us laughing until the wee hours of the morning. She will be teaching this Spring at the Mary Englebreit workshops-wish I was going, but Syd and Sukey will be giving us a full report. We did some fun trades through the mail including this great little fiber collage piece. I love how she used a canvas to make a sort of shadow box.
Colleen knows that I love hearts and gave me this cool folk art piece from India. I love the little angel on the bottom..
And somehow Syd found this vintage paper doll set for me, probably as old as I am!
It is dangerous and delightful to have a friend who owns a bakery! Especially if it is the Solvang Bakery...Susan Halme generously filled a gift box with 3 boxes of treats that she knew I would love. I managed to send some along with Jason to take to his college friends so I wouldn't eat everything! They happily devoured what came their way.

Syd added a new gnome to the vintage ones that she had already given me. Hand carved- they are only inches tall and have little felt clothing.

My boys came through and made me hand made birthday cards. After I picked up Justin from school I headed off to Goleta Beach for a walk while he worked on homework. I couldn't resist adding two new Yarn tags to the tree there. Today when I went for a slightly rainy walk someone had tucked some flowers into one of the tags!
And as I headed out for my walk I heard this man say, "There's a seal in the men's bathroom!" Well, I had to take a look and yes, there was a large sea lion heading into the men's bathroom. The Sea Mammel Rescue Squad was called and they netted him and took him off to feed and bring him back to health. A little excitement on the waterfront!
So now back to major house cleaning. The boys are having some friends over for Super Bowl and with house construction and all I got a little lazy. At least now I can actually walk around in my Art Room!
And just want to say Thank YOU! for all the nice Birthday Wishes...I appreciate each and every one !!!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Such wonderful friends and gifts! LOVE the tree tags and so cool that someone tucked a bouquet in one! :o)

Marie said...

The yarn tags are fabulous...little surprises left for folks walking by...I like that! What fun paper dolls. (I used to play with them as a child but, I do not know of any children who do now.) What beautiful gifts from talented friends. Hope your birthday was special. I used to go to that bakery and the baked goods are fabulous! I miss the little village : (
and the ocean and sunshine : )
Have a great day!

Grace said...

You have great, talented, and crafty friends. You are so lucky!

Jacky said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you were thoroughly spoilt which is wonderful...you special day! Your piece from Elizabeth is wonderful. I have been lucky enough to do a couple of classes in her gorgeous studio - a real treat!
Gorgeous gifts and art in this post. I love the Isty Bitsy Spill too. Would love to buy something from her one day too.
Love your little knit ups and how nice that someone stuck a flower in the tag...nice to be appreciated.
Love your beautiful hooked heart rug above and those very relaxed kitties.

Jacky xox

Alice ~ Folk Art Primitives said...

Love the tea cozy and the felted piece ~ fabulous for sure!!! You have wonderful creative friends! And Belated Happy Birthday to you!

Kristin L said...

Happy Belated Birthday from me too. Thanks for sharing all your gifts -- what fun stuff. I love that funky kitty.

Finding a seal in the bathroom would be pretty funny too.