Thursday, June 28, 2007

a little "how to"....




I've gotten a couple of questions as to how I make the collage cards...so I will try and give a quick explanation.


First I make the little heart charm ....For the heart I used a small piece of painted "timtex" which is a thick interfacing found at fabric stores. Then I put it on a small piece of fabric and then a top piece of sheer fabric, forming a "sandwich". I stitch around the heart closely and then around the edge several times.


Then I fool around with different backgrounds and textures until I find something I like....
fraying the edges for a raggety look...

I glue the layers together and one more layer of glue on the bottom piece making sure to get the corners and edges....spread with my fingers.

For the bottom piece I like to use "scrim" or a nice loosely woven piece of fabric....some of these are from the fabric sample books from our local recycle store called "Art from Scrap" that designers have donated. There are some beautiful linens and cottons to play with in these books.

I carefully center it on the card front and pat to make sure the edges are glued. I use Nori paste for this project...it seems to work well with the fabric and I like the consistency. It is good for collage and bookarts too....because you can slide the paper around for awhile without its sticking too quickly.

I put a piece of waxed paper on top and a heavy book and let it dry overnight....and it's done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the paste tip

I need orange said...

Second the thanks on the paste!